Monday, August 4, 2008

Stack Overrun

Embedded programming is like creating a little world in a chip. It's a world where things work as you dictate. It's a power trip in some ways.

But when you start getting stack overrun it's like the fabric of reality in that world starts tearing at the seams. Things just happen. And insanity, or at least dumb silent stupidity is guaranteed.

It's really a nightmare for every young EE to experience. Fortunately for me, I had a classmate who could point me in the right memory-saving direction.

Imagine that you learned something one day that overwrote your remembering your own name. It would be like this:
"Hi, what's your name?"
"tiary qualification (electronics or software engineering). NV]HI #**S_FE{"
"Huh? You okay?"

For a second I thought I was doomed.

Aaa, but that's the fun of it isn't it? Man over machine.

Peter

No comments: